Page 93 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394 LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 1874

Thread: Tales from Techsupport

  1. #1841

    Re: Tales from Techsupport

    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosL01 View Post
    I love it when they tell you how long a repair or assistance is going to take.
    Yeah some things are easy fixes and can be done in that time or less.
    But most of the time it's very dependent on if they actually told you what was wrong in the first place. If they can follow directions or are competent enough to share screens(if possible).
    If nothing unexpected happens.....

    For sakes people! .. you don't go to car repair places and tell them to fix your car in 5 mins including diagnosing issues!
    No, people do, and they're just as crazy.

  2. #1842

    Re: Tales from Techsupport

    why would someone hide their drive? Did they have a D or E at least?
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

  3. #1843
    Humble & proud of it!
    pseudo-intellectual elitist
    Aennyil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Tales from Techsupport

    Filan, exactly. Also, why not get them to unhide the c drive, or permission to do so?

  4. #1844
    Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Mileron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7,603
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Tales from Techsupport

    I've only run into hidden or unusual primary OS drives three times in my tenure of this position.

    Twice were Citrix environments that the primary OS drive was either hidden, or NOT C: for "security purposes".

    The third was this call.

    This user was on a local workstation - not even in Citrix - and getting the C drive unhidden for a single application for a single user in an office of multiple hundreds was not going to happen.

    Thankfully, they did in fact have a secondary partition/drive that was not hidden, and not a network drive (because for some reason out of the 4 network drives which the user had listed, she had no write permissions to any of them) which is the location to where I ended up moving the application.

    I sent her a followup email that stated what was done, and requested she forward it to her tech people. I highly doubt she will have done so, but because it's in my ticketing system now, I have record of it, and my ass is covered.

  5. #1845
    Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Mileron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7,603
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Tales from Techsupport

    Customer: I just need my question answered
    Me: I am systems, I do not have the knowledge you need. I am creating you a ticket for transfer of this call and will get you to the correct group
    Customer: I just need my question answered
    Me: I understand that, however I need to get you to another person. Here is your ticket number.
    Customer: I just need my question answered
    Me: Now that you have your ticket number, I will transfer this call to the correct person.
    Customer: hangs up

  6. #1846
    Poof make squid!
    Merrick ap'Milandra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,960
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Tales from Techsupport

    Saw this just now on reddit, thought you guys would appreciate it.
    [–]RCTID1975

    6 points 4 hours ago

    It's becoming more and more like spiceworks.

    Some good stuff buried in a lot of people arguing that unless you have redundant everything including sneakers, you're wrong and are a complete failure regardless of what the situation is.


    permalink embedsave parentreportreply

    [–]OckhamsChainsaws

    Masterbreaker 5 points 3 hours ago

    Why would you not have redundant sneakers? That's just day 1 stuff. I actually have highly available pants as well. Pants are way more important


    permalink embedsave parentreportreply

    [–]RCTID1975

    3 points 2 hours ago

    I've been in the life industry for over 40 years, and let me tell you, the real important piece is the belt.

    If the belt fails, your pants and sneakers are useless.

    That's why i recommend redundant belts with suspender failovers.


    permalink embedsave parentreportreply

    [–]OckhamsChainsaws

    Masterbreaker 2 points 2 hours ago

    Suspenders are legacy equipment that have reached eol, so the platform no longer supports it. As far as the belt goes, last time it failed I consulted an expert on the platform, and they told me to do the needful and exercise. Unfortunately the platform automatically goes to sleep any time a maintenance window is scheduled.

    permalink embedsave parentreportreply

    [–]CleaveItToBeaver

    3 points 2 hours ago

    Yeah, but what's the uptime on those zippers? Do you put 'em back up before they go in the wash, or do you just leave a MASSIVE SECURITY VULN in the crotch so any bad actor can just hop in during the spin cycle?


    permalink embedsave parentreportreply

    [–]OckhamsChainsaws

    Masterbreaker 3 points 2 hours ago

    No one's up time is 100%, as much as we would like it to be.

    permalink embedsave parentreportreply
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

  7. #1847
    Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Mileron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7,603
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Tales from Techsupport

    Quote Originally Posted by Mileron View Post
    (Issues with remote hardware)
    So they send me a replacement unit. It's not new (shocker) and they can't tell me how old it is (naturally). I got it last Thursday. My manager hounds me every day to set it up, but when I tell him it would take more than an hour for the help desk to get someone to configure it, he relents. (This is not a complete exaggeration. A help desk call takes 5 minutes. Getting someone from vendor level to configure it... that's a different story.)

    I had a doctor's appointment on Tuesday (yesterday) and managed to set it up just sitting on my floor.

    I get an email from a vendor guy stating "you absolutely cannot set up two of those units connected to the same router, or BIG PROBLEMS will occur." Okay. Yoink the power.
    Reply to him, my manager, his manager, and two vendor guys: I have a doctor's appointment at 2pm Eastern, I'll reconnect everything at that time.
    2pm email: Everything's connected to the replacement unit. Phone is not getting any power through the unit. Tried multiple network cables.
    Vendor: I don't see a phone online. Double-check the cable for the phone and make sure it is in the right port on the back of the phone as well as the unit.

    Um...
    1 - I didn't need to disconnect the phone end of the cable.
    2 - If I reconnect the phone to the original unit, it still powers back on.
    3 - Which tells me there's a problem with the replacement unit.

    So I do some more peeking at the replacement (I keep typing "new" and having to correct myself) and discover that the power adapter I was sent is a 2.5A plug, where the original is a 5A plug.

    Hmm, a PoE phone not powering on?
    I switch the power adapters but unfortunately the replacement still will not power the phone.

    The ports work when a standard ethernet cable is connected, but not this PoE phone.

    The kicker?

    They (my manager, his manager, the help desk, nor the vendor guys) don't know why the replacement unit I received was surrendered for the person who originally used it to be replaced.

    Maybe it's because the PoE board burnt out?

  8. #1848
    Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Mileron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7,603
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Tales from Techsupport

    Quote Originally Posted by Mileron View Post
    Maybe it's because the PoE board burnt out?
    Vendor Rep: When I was connected to the replacement unit for configuration, there were indications the PoE portion of the unit was non-functional.


  9. #1849
    Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Mileron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7,603
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Tales from Techsupport

    Quote Originally Posted by Mileron View Post
    So they send me a replacement unit.
    I didn't mention how it came with two extra items in the box - a tax book, and some random cable modem that I can't even use.
    I was requested to ship them back - so I did, on my dime because no one responded how I was supposed to get the company to pay for it. I paid ground.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mileron View Post
    Vendor Rep: When I was connected to the replacement unit for configuration, there were indications the PoE portion of the unit was non-functional.
    Mgr: We'll send you the phone power cord.

    Today I get the package. It was that exact same random fucking cable modem.


  10. #1850
    Poof make squid!
    Merrick ap'Milandra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,960
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Tales from Techsupport

    Wait just a fricking minute.

    YOU paid out of pocket to send something back to a client?
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

  11. #1851
    Poof make squid!
    Merrick ap'Milandra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,960
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Tales from Techsupport

    Okay, so I'm going to have to be REALLY vague for this, because details can be incriminating.

    Basically, someone was sold a product that didn't work as expected after being told by the technicians that it wouldn't work as they were selling it.

    The main failure point was the GPS (everything else worked), and the person selling it was a complete "airbubble over my head, lalala, I don't hear you *plugs ears and charges in anyway*" sort.

    After weeks of explaining why the feature wouldn't work (can't go into details) the technician responsible for explaining it started taking heat because *gasp* it wouldn't work.

    Said person pushing this and the subsequent support was dumber than a box of hair and desperate for information about a technology person knew nothing about right before a BIG client presentation.

    Tech decided to screw with said person.

    T is the totally exasperated tech due to years of being screwed with and over by said person, P is person.

    P: But it's GPS, it should work!
    T: It does, in most cases, but GPS stands for Global Positioning System, emphasis on GLOBAL.
    P: What do you mean?
    T: Well, the planet rotates, right?
    P: Huh?
    T: The sun rises in the east and sets in the west, it's due to planetary rotation.
    P: Oh. Why does that matter?
    T: Well, there's a dark side of the moon, that doesn't get any light, because it's tidally locked, right?
    P: We're not on the moon.
    T: Yes, that was an example, but in the same way, part of the earth is in darkness for about half of the day.
    P: What do you mean?
    T: Night time, when we sleep.
    P: Oh.
    T: So GPS doesn't work when it's dark out.
    P: I...no, my car has GPS and it works at night!
    T: Your car has HEADLIGHTS! That's what makes it work, You know those little blinking lights on the satellites? That works in concert with your headlights and allows the two to find each other.
    *cue Person making furious notes for a client meeting*

    This goes on for about two more minutes of bullshit before Tech finally says "I'm totally feeding you bullshit, the reason it doesn't work is because the firmware in this model is busted, don't sell them the GPS functionality."

    Person was mad at Tech for about a year.

    Probably rightfully so, but don't be purposefully mean to your techs. We like the occasional prank.
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

  12. #1852
    Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Mileron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7,603
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Tales from Techsupport

    Quote Originally Posted by Merrick ap'Milandra View Post
    Wait just a fricking minute.

    YOU paid out of pocket to send something back to a client?
    No, back to my manager's manager.

  13. #1853
    Forum Sorcerer
    Lurking from the shadows

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    602

    Re: Tales from Techsupport

    Boy do we ever like to play pranks. At the university,The library severs went down at midnight for maintenance(30 mins). A caller got one of my co-workers and stated they thought they broke the online library. Because they couldn't get in at 12:01 AM. The co worker stated " So it was you that broke it!" He let the caller hang a for a minute then told him about the maintenance. What is even better is that call was picked for a Quality check....
    Greed is for amateurs. Chaos, disorder, anarchy...now that's FUN!

    Kirin Tor:
    Toccke- Archmage of Gnomeregan (retired)
    Shlemm-Rogue of grand mischief(retired)
    Dorra - High Priestest of Iron Forge (RIP)

  14. #1854
    Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Mileron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7,603
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Tales from Techsupport

    Caller: We're having problems with our program logins; it seems someone changed the password without telling us.
    Me: Okay, well your environment is preventing us from doing the remote session necessary to complete the troubleshooting, can I talk to your tech person?
    Caller: We'll have to call you back.

    Twenty minutes later...
    Caller: I have my tech guy.
    Tech Guy: What do you need?
    Me: Hi, this is Mileron. We need your administrative credentials so that I can remote onto Caller's system to resolve a program login problem.
    TG: Can't you do that on your side?
    Me: No, this login is not internet-facing
    TG: Really? Cool! Sure, let's do it.
    Email: while getting logged in, I get three nearly simultaneous IMs and an email from two managers and two coworkers requesting me to do a callback... for a different user at the same company I'm already on the phone with Urgent status. I reply and state that I'm already helping one of their users and that second caller can hang up.
    Me: Asking the tech guy Is it possible that Caller2 is on the phone with one of our other reps? He can disconnect because we're handling the issue.
    Email: I see an email stating that the second caller refuses to disconnect, and that I should put Caller1 on hold and call Caller2 instead!
    Me: So it looks like we already set up your internal ability to administer your own logins a few months ago but the person who handled that may not have shared that information.
    TG: Oh. Yeah, I can see that this had been done.
    Caller1: Are we done yet? Caller2 won't hang up until we're done.
    Me: We've got about 2 minutes of fixes left, and 3-4 minutes of explanations and trying to make sure this doesn't happen again.
    Email: 30 seconds later Are you done yet? This customer wants to know why he hasn't gotten a call.
    Me: replying to the emails, including the two managers The customer is being assisted via a different caller who called in first.

  15. #1855
    Forum Sorcerer
    Lurking from the shadows

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    602

    Re: Tales from Techsupport

    reminds me of caller who called techsupport asked a complex question, was asked to wait while they researched . Called the support number again conferenced the 2nd tech asked the same question as soon as asked to wait this this a 3 to 5th time. by the time the poor 1st tech got the answer we had a party line of 5 techs all seeking the same answer.
    Greed is for amateurs. Chaos, disorder, anarchy...now that's FUN!

    Kirin Tor:
    Toccke- Archmage of Gnomeregan (retired)
    Shlemm-Rogue of grand mischief(retired)
    Dorra - High Priestest of Iron Forge (RIP)

  16. #1856
    Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Mileron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7,603
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Tales from Techsupport

    5/1
    Manager: We need you to get a company phone because you're being moved to 24/7 on call for critical customers
    Me: What's in it for me?
    Manager: explains
    Me: Hmm... k, I guess
    Manager: We'll send you your phone. Go-live is 5/25

    5/25
    Me: No phone
    Manager: On vacation

    6/1
    Me: Gets phone, can't activate it
    Manager: Wait until Monday 6/4

    6/4
    Me: Can't activate phone
    Manager: Call help desk during office hours
    Me: Also I haven't gotten the email that tells me what I need
    Manager: The help desk can expedite that
    Me: Can I get time off my usual call queue to do that?
    Manager: No

    6/7
    Manager: Why haven't you activated your phone?
    Me: Well on the lunch that I wasn't getting paid for, I called the help desk and they told me to wait to see if I got the email
    Manager: Call them again

    Help Desk: Oh, we haven't sent those emails in almost a year. Just turn it on and activate it.
    Me: Aren't there special apps I need?
    Help Desk: Yes
    Me: What are they?
    Help Desk: They will automatically download to your phone
    Me: And if they don't?
    Help Desk: Call us back

    Me: to manager It's activated. Here's the number. None of the apps you tell me I need are installed; the Help Desk tells me they should automatically flow through within the next few hours of pushed updates.
    Manager: Be nice if they updated the documentation
    Me: Ya don't say

  17. #1857

    Re: Tales from Techsupport

    Ouch they fucked you over with a batphone? Hopefully pay has been adjusted to compensate.

    I dunno what your company calls those phones but when I worked a help desk at a big cable firm they this drop down in the Cisco Phone software and one option was Batphone for REALLY REALLY REALLY important customers. apparently it went to people in power who could always be available.

    that said I dunno if I could ever do that simply because I sleep extremely soundly.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

  18. #1858
    Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Mileron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7,603
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Tales from Techsupport

    Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    that said I dunno if I could ever do that simply because I sleep extremely soundly.
    As too do I (except when the cat scratches the bed) however my wife does not. So she's going to be the one shaking the shit out of me to wake up if it ever goes off.

  19. #1859
    Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Mileron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7,603
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Tales from Techsupport

    Be me
    Be me - the good tech
    Be me - the one who writes documentation to try to teach the new techs what's what
    Be me who customers contact above all others
    Be me who customers contact to bitch at about all others no matter the reason
    Be me who customers contact because even if I can't support the problem, I'll either figure it out or get them to someone who won't treat them like utter shit

    Be me who had a fucking shitty day, where 7/10 of the calls I got were me being yelled at, including two of the last three which were over an hour long
    Be me who needs to send an email to my manager because, due to the above descriptions, my very last call was that of an extremely angry customer who got the runaround for over 40 minutes by one of my coworkers, only to be told at the end "Huh, I guess you were right when you originally asked your question, you can't do what you're asking", wanted someone to vent to, but also wanted someone higher-up to actually contact her while also ensuring that the message would get delivered to said manager
    Be me who has a problem with my remote/telecommuting setup where randomly it'll up and drop my network connection, causing all websites to refresh and phone calls to drop. Thankfully, the previous call was over, but I was in the middle of writing the email
    Be me who did not realize the ticketing system didn't retain the changes I'd made to the email to be sent to my manager, and instead sent it to the customer

    Be me whose face is like
    jiFfM.jpg

    Be me who is glad it didn't include anything bad - it was just an informational email, but still.

  20. #1860
    Forum Sorcerer
    Lurking from the shadows

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    602

    Re: Tales from Techsupport

    So you had a typically bad day for a tech. Don't worry doesn't sound like they'll fire you you might get a slap on the hand or stern talking to.
    Tech is unique everything breaks and were still expected to do our job(several times, everything but the phones broke)
    Greed is for amateurs. Chaos, disorder, anarchy...now that's FUN!

    Kirin Tor:
    Toccke- Archmage of Gnomeregan (retired)
    Shlemm-Rogue of grand mischief(retired)
    Dorra - High Priestest of Iron Forge (RIP)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •