Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 40808687888990
Results 1,781 to 1,789 of 1789

Thread: Tales from Techsupport

Elder Arcanist

Re: Tales from Techsupport

9.9/10

I'd give you the last tenth if she called you then questioned your identity.

Mr. Angsty Spice

downloading random DLL repair apps is a safe method of troubleshooting
    Of course it is! It's how I fixed my home computer last week!!!!
    I've got beer to drink and You guys are wasting my time.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

On 12/21, I submitted an escalation to repair a data file that needed to be exported.
    This is unique for four reasons:
    1 - The file being exported isn't supposed to be, based on its return type and its year, but because of extenuating tax circumstances (aren't they always) the customer needed it to be exported
    2 - I got the same exact error when attempting the export, and usually I don't
    3 - I wrote the book on the errors and their fixes (even though I didn't write the export app)
    4 - I didn't find out until after submitting the escalation that the developer who did in fact write the app went on vacation until the new year.

The customer called on 1/2 requesting an update - but the developer hadn't come back into the office yet. At this point, my manager is getting antsy and starts branching out to other devs trying to find who can dig through this issue to resolve the problem.
    On 1/8 (yesterday) the developer logs onto his computer long enough before I sign out for the day to send me a message that basically says "I got the escalation, I'll look at it". Then he signed out.
    This morning I log in to find an email with the exported file with the sole answer of "It worked for me", so I send it off to the customer with an apology for the delay and think nothing more of it.

I get an IM from the Product Manager...
    PM: That escalation was resolved
    Me: I saw, I sent the resulting file to the customer
    PM: Did the dev say what he did to fix it?
    Me: No. But I don't have three weeks to wait for a response, so I just sent it over with an apology for the delay.
    PM: Send me a copy of the file to examine.
    Me: does so
    PM: Turns out I get the same error as you
    Me: Yeah, weird
    PM: fifteen minutes later So the developer tells me he had to rebuild the export EXE to handle new data tables present in the primary tax app from which the export pulls from
    Me: So why didn't he say that, instead of responding that he exported with no issue? I could have sent the customer a "cover our butts" kind of response, notwithstanding that he was on vacation for three weeks
    PM: That makes too much sense

Mr. Angsty Spice

Me in December 2017: Never ever ever give access to our users through the default administrative shares on windows. Because if YOU do; You have given them full control over the computer; You have either elevated their privileges to Admin or you have allowed them to masquerade as "one of us IT staff". They can use that connection to piggy back to the server and Connect ANYWAY THEY WANT. They can create their own admin users at that point if you do that. They can format the C: drive, they can do anything.

Tech2 to me: Hey, why can this user delete files in this location?

Me: Remember that thing a month ago I said never to do? Yeah, you did it.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Me: On the left, you'll find (description 1). On the right, you'll find (description 2).
    Customer: I HAVE A DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITY AND I FIND YOUR USE OF LATERAL DIRECTIONS INSULTING

What the actual fuck.

Mr. Angsty Spice

Customer: I HAVE A DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITY AND I FIND YOUR USE OF LATERAL DIRECTIONS INSULTING
    Response: I HAVE A DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITY! DEALING WITH MORON FUCKING CUSTOMERS TRIGGERS ME AND MAKES ME STAB THEM IN THE FUCKING THROAT!

Mr. Angsty Spice

Newbie Tech takes a phone message for Schizo Tech...(Names/Departments randomized)

"Bob from the Accounting department called for you about program xxxxxx"

Schizo Tech: "Bob doesn't work in Accounting, Bob works in Marketing".

Newbie "Well it was Bob from Accounting"

Schizo "Bob Johnson is in Marketing".

Newbie "Ok, but Bob from accounting...."

Schizo "Bob is in Marketing!!!!"

Me: In our organization of 250+ people we have more then 1 Bob, Yes, Bob Johnson is in Marketing. Bob Smith who called for you is in Accounting."

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

So I haven't had a car since right after Thanksgiving. Which works out, since I kind of don't have to drive right now.
    I've been using my wife's car when I need to, taking her to work and such.
    Sunday (yesterday) and today, I needed to be up at 4am to take her to work.
    Last night, she popped some melatonin to help her sleep earlier so she could get at least 7 hours. I was already tired enough to be in bed and sleepy by 9:30 because I'd been up since 4am.

At 9:59, my phone rang - just seconds before my automatic timer would have muted the ringer. Needless to say, it woke us both up. In a panic - because who would call us at 9:59pm on a Sunday night - I answered it and hear a voice I really didn't want to.

It was one of my problem users.

PU: Mileron, It's PU#1, is it too late?
    Me: meanwhile I'm walking out of the bedroom to my office Yes, and I need to be up at 4am, but I'm already up, what's up?
    PU: I can let you go
    Me: I'm already up. What. Do. You. Need.
    PU: I don't know if you know this but Friday was my last day
    Me: Okay...
    PU: I've been requested to send my computer hardware back
    Me: Okay... did you get a box or a shipping label yet?
    PU: No...
    Me: So why are you calling me at 10pm on a Sunday?
    PU: I got an email that I need to send it back
    Me: But they didn't send a box or a shipping label yet.
    PU: No. I wanted to take the computer apart so that I can have it ready.
    Me: And you needed to do this at 10pm on a Sunday?
    PU: I wanted to do it while I still had access to my email
    Me: You know if we take your computer apart, you won't anymore
    PU: dead silence
    Me: You didn't think of that
    PU: Well, no, it never occurred to me
    Me: Did you print out or write down the address to which you need to ship it?
    PU: Yes, it's -
    Me: I don't care. Start unplugging things.
    PU: What about the speakers?
    Me: Those are yours
    PU: Oh, yeah. Right. What about this box with 440 on it?
    Me: exhausted Send me a picture
    PU: took him 8 minutes to send me a no-flash-picture And do I need to send back the surge protector too?
    Me: That box is the power pack for the laptop dock. No, you don't need to send back the surge protector.
    PU: Why not?
    Me: It's twelve years old and they will just throw it out.
    PU: Why would I want it then?
    Me: Do you have a surge protector?
    PU: No
    Me: Do you need one?
    PU: No
    Me: Toss it.
    PU: What about...
    Me: Just be quiet and listen to me. Spent the next fifteen minutes walking him through totally tearing down the monitor, dock, and laptop connections. Put the laptop in the carrying bag. Put as much stuff in the bag with it as will fit. Don't make it too bulky. When you get the box and label, pack it as good as you can - wrap the monitor in bubble wrap - and send it.
    PU: So... all I have left is the surge protector.
    Me: Throw it out.
    PU: Do you need it?
    Me: Dude. Throw. It. Out.
    PU: starts to make small talk
    Me: Look, man, I'm sorry to see you go, but I need to get up in less than six hours. You've got my number. Give me a jingle sometime soon.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mileron View Post
    Because on June 14th, I suddenly could no longer send "from" that group mailbox.

So I figured it was a fluke, and didn't need to do anything with it on the 15th or 16th (as all my emails went through the call tracking system), and waited until the next Monday (the 19th) til I needed to use the box again. Nope, still couldn't send "from" the group box.

Another call to the Help Desk.

It's been a full week and they don't seem to understand "it worked before the 14th, it worked like this for 12 years, something on your side changed and I need you to put it back the way that it was."
    As you can see, it's been a few months since I posted this one. I'd been going back and forth a couple times a month with a rep from the email support group but had mostly petered off as they prepped for Office 2016 rollout. I even got a new computer at the beginning of December, and finally had had it with my inability to send emails in my habitual way - it puts a real crimp in my workflow.

So I sent an email to my prior manager.

Me: I'm having this email problem with Mailbox 1. But I have no problems with Mailbox 2. The problem manifests this way too with Mailbox 3 that I occasionally use but is more in your domain right now... any thoughts?

Prior Manager: Oh, I think there's some special settings on Mailbox 3 ... you might want to have the Help Desk or person you're corresponding with compare the problematic mailboxes to one that works.
    Me: I'd suggested that, but I'll try again

So I send an email back to the email contact.
    Me: Look, I can send emails from Mailbox2, but not Mailbox 1 or 3. What's different from Mailbox 1 and 3 that otherwise allows me to use Mailbox 2?
    EmailRep: I will research

It took a few days but I finally get back
    ER: It seems Mailboxes 1 and 3 are "hidden". Should I unhide them?
    Me: No, only unhide Mailbox 1. Mailbox 3 should remain hidden.
    ER: It will take overnight to replicate but you should be fixed in the morning.

Finally works again. FFS. 7 months.