Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 124

Thread: Dear Users. Read Before Posting.

  1. #61
    The World is a Mess
    And I Just Need to Rule It
    Maurley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    9,845

    Re: Dear Users. Read Before Posting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Torcer Arcana View Post
    As Ikeya is fond of saying, “It’s Just a Message Board.” Since the Mods treat this forum as SERIOUSLAND, I’ll take their condescension seriously. Yes, I expect a warning, and yes I’ll hound which “I’m better than you” hypocritical fucker gives it to me until the board closes down or I’m banned.
    So lets see, you state that we should not take the message board as "seriousland" yet every time something comes up that you disagree with you jump up and down like a 5 year old having a temper tantrum.

    Civility Rule, FFS, what a fucking joke that is and you are. We should rename it to the “Ignore 99% of the in civil nonsense that’s posted at Graffes and whip out the Civility Rule when its something I don’t like” Rule. Step the fuck off little men and women, this is a fucking Message Board and not only are none of you better than the rest of us, some of you are quite a bit worse. The last Mod who suspended me ended up threatening a woman in real life – that’s what I think of your condescension.
    You know what? If you don't like it, get it changed. If you can't get it changed and still don't like it, get the fuck out.

    .. and no, Sleeping with Someone’s sister is not a civil thread, that’s just one of the hundreds of examples of real incivility that goes unnoticed.
    Who is it uncivil to? The non-existent sister? The poster who approved his non-existent sister be used in such a manner? Or is it just one more ridiculous excuse for you to cry?

    Everything I predicted when we started this experiment has come true. All you fuck sticks that didn't get your way made reading this board miserable with your tantrums.

    So what if a moderator makes a mistake? They're human and we're all prone to make mistakes. IT'S ONLY A FUCKING MESSAGE BOARD YOU PRE-PUBESCENT TWITS! Your rights aren't being trampled. You HAVE NO RIGHTS HERE! Get the fuck over yourselves already. Seriously, has any decision from a mod really been so life altering that we need you self appointed, holier than thou, assholes shitting up the board with your attempts to "fight the power"?

    God, just stop already. It's past being tedious and moved into the, call the ambulance we have a psycho here, realm.
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

  2. #62
    Check the
    Track Record
    Grindel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    39,067
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: Dear Users. Read Before Posting.

    People whose goal is to remove all rules will never be satisfied with any application of rules ever.

  3. #63
    #YesAllCats
    Goladus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    25,071
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dear Users. Read Before Posting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maledict View Post
    People generally are happy - but at the same time, we don't appoint moderators as punching bags
    Voicing objections to behavior is not punching.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maledict
    I think a reminder was needed for this forum that people should be more civil here and try to stay on topic.
    It wasn't. Or, if it was, some effort avoid coming off like a condescending jackass would have been much appreciated. I would say it is important for moderators to know when their behavior has given offense.

    Moderators are just normal posters aho are helping out a bit, they aren't the gods of the forum, and we don't elect them so we can then abuse them endlessly and expect them to robotically just keep the same thing time and time again.
    Moderators are not "just normal posters." Moderators have the ability to delete my content and prevent me from accessing the forum. Moderators are real people. I haven't forgotten that, it's important not to ever forget that. But that doesn't make my complaints invalid. It doesn't mean I should have hidden my reaction to the initial post. It doesn't mean that, in a discussion about whether posters are not being civil enough, the moderator attempting to control the situation doesn't have the greater responsibility.

    If moderators are not supposed to be in leaders, they should not be making threads like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maledict
    I hardly think this thread is "complaining" about it, it's merely pointing out that there has been a lot of unneeded uncivility in here recently and it's not necessery.
    I mean that you are complaining about my reaction. The first post isn't a complaint, it's a very minor observation and reminder wrapped up in a few paragraphs of superfluous flexing.

    All of the minutiae is about "misunderstanding" the rules or how they apply.
    That post is almost entirely directed at you. I made it because you demonstrated a misunderstanding of my position. Had you not claimed that my complaint was invalid by suggesting it was an emotional projection onto neutral language, then I would not have bothered to explain myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vdou
    Mods aren't here to be your friends or coddle you or make sure you have a warm blanky at night.
    That's absolutely right. As moderators, their responsibility is to moderate the forum. My suggestions are all aimed at improving the ability of the moderators to moderate the forum effectively. Yes, I can lead by example. In most cases, I try. But me leading the moderators seems backwards, don't you think?
    If it seems curt or smug, get the fuck over it.
    I could ignore it if I wanted to. That's not a big deal.

    But I'm not the only one who noticed. Over time, more people will be bothered by behavior and will not stand up for themselves. Eventually, all that repressed resentment gets unleashed as Major Drama. You can listen to me or not.
    Last edited by Goladus; October 13th, 2009 at 09:38 AM. Reason: added a double-negative.

  4. #64
    Check the
    Track Record
    Grindel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    39,067
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: Dear Users. Read Before Posting.

    I think part of the problem is the notion that telling someone to go fuck themselves is some sort of reasonable objection to moderation style. I thought it was surprisingly out of character.

  5. #65
    Satellite Mind
    Torcer Arcana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    28,203
    Blog Entries
    9

    Re: Dear Users. Read Before Posting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grindel View Post
    People whose goal is to remove all rules will never be satisfied with any application of rules ever.


    You’re one of the least civil people who posts at Graffes when it suits your purposes. Same with Maurley. My problem with the Civility Rule is that it’s not a rule; it’s whatever the hell the Mods get it into their heads to do. I was intentionally trying to be uncivil when I said “fuck” and made that post – although I admit that I’m not as good as the folks to whom incivility comes rather naturally. Funny how so many of those natural assholes now condescend to the rest of us.
    “Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bomc,” I said. “We have a protractor. Okay, I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler and a piece of string.”

  6. #66
    The World is a Mess
    And I Just Need to Rule It
    Maurley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    9,845

    Re: Dear Users. Read Before Posting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Torcer Arcana View Post
    You’re one of the least civil people who posts at Graffes when it suits your purposes. Same with Maurley. My problem with the Civility Rule is that it’s not a rule; it’s whatever the hell the Mods get it into their heads to do. I was intentionally trying to be uncivil when I said “fuck” and made that post – although I admit that I’m not as good as the folks to whom incivility comes rather naturally. Funny how so many of those natural assholes now condescend to the rest of us.

    Hey! The only time I'm the least civil person here is when I'm arguing with Fnag over Israel. And I'm ok with that.
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

  7. #67
    Satellite Mind
    Torcer Arcana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    28,203
    Blog Entries
    9

    Re: Dear Users. Read Before Posting.

    You were not even civil in this thread.

    It's like the Mods are dead set on treating the entire community like it was Dmitry on a tirade. You idiots are making things worse every day. No one has offered more reasoned objections over the years, but reason does not work on you, even as the results are right in front of us. Let's see how many more posters we can lose. Yeah, "If you don't agree then GTFO," good Maurley, that about sums up what's going on.
    Last edited by Torcer Arcana; October 13th, 2009 at 09:26 AM.
    “Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bomc,” I said. “We have a protractor. Okay, I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler and a piece of string.”

  8. #68
    D E N I E D !
    ClaudShatterglass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dear Users. Read Before Posting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Torcer Arcana View Post
    You’re one of the least civil people who posts at Graffes when it suits your purposes. Same with Maurley. My problem with the Civility Rule is that it’s not a rule; it’s whatever the hell the Mods get it into their heads to do. I was intentionally trying to be uncivil when I said “fuck” and made that post – although I admit that I’m not as good as the folks to whom incivility comes rather naturally. Funny how so many of those natural assholes now condescend to the rest of us.
    Civility is a very relative term, and saying 'fuck' does not an uncivil post make. Adding "you fucking cocksucker" to the end of an otherwise coherent post might. It's all about the moderator who's reviewing it.

    I know, I don't like the civility rule either, it's far too vague for any society that deigns to have rules. I don't, however, disagree with the idea behind the civility rule.

  9. #69
    #YesAllCats
    Goladus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    25,071
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dear Users. Read Before Posting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grindel View Post
    I think part of the problem is the notion that telling someone to go fuck themselves is some sort of reasonable objection to moderation style. I thought it was surprisingly out of character.
    It wasn't a reasonable objection to moderator style. As a joke, it was a reasonable reaction to the joke that is the original post.

    Since that conversation was obliterated, I instead responded with direct criticism.

  10. #70
    Check the
    Track Record
    Grindel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    39,067
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: Dear Users. Read Before Posting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goladus View Post
    It wasn't a reasonable objection to moderator style. As a joke, it was a reasonable reaction to the joke that is the original post.

    Since that conversation was obliterated, I instead responded with direct criticism.
    Well the argument that it was a joke is based on your opinion, not some sort of fact. Mdar wasn't joking when he made his post - how could someone view your reaction as some sort of joke? In a forum where we're asked, very nicely, to remain civil it's reasonable to react uncivilly to something you disagree with?

    I think a lot of us have tread far too far down the road from discussing actual issues into discussing the discussing of actual issues. What's the huge problem with endeavoring people to be polite in this particular forum where it's generating all this animosity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Torcer Arcana View Post
    You’re one of the least civil people who posts at Graffes when it suits your purposes. Same with Maurley. My problem with the Civility Rule is that it’s not a rule; it’s whatever the hell the Mods get it into their heads to do. I was intentionally trying to be uncivil when I said “fuck” and made that post – although I admit that I’m not as good as the folks to whom incivility comes rather naturally. Funny how so many of those natural assholes now condescend to the rest of us.
    How I am when I post as a poster and not a mod has what to do with the ruleset in this particular forum again? Also please run for mod the next time around - chances are you'd win. Show us how it's done.

  11. #71
    The World is a Mess
    And I Just Need to Rule It
    Maurley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    9,845

    Re: Dear Users. Read Before Posting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grindel View Post
    Also please run for mod the next time around - chances are you'd win. Show us how it's done.
    I purposely do not run for Mod because, and I'm very willing to admit this, I would be the worse mod to ever grace these boards. All of the calls about abuse and censoring would be true if I were a mod.

    God forbid I was made administrator. I'd be posting by myself because I would ban half the board and the other half would fear posting.

    My avatar would be:

    To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

  12. #72
    99% Bacon Free
    Merkus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    9,402
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Dear Users. Read Before Posting.

    If the goal of this thread was to reduce drama and restore civility then it has failed. The old "it's not what you say, but how you say it" caution applies here.

  13. #73
    Check the
    Track Record
    Grindel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    39,067
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: Dear Users. Read Before Posting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maurley View Post
    My avatar would be:

    I see you've been hanging out at Baelan's house.

  14. #74
    Limited Access

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    9,401
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Dear Users. Read Before Posting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Torcer Arcana View Post
    As Ikeya is fond of saying, “It’s Just a Message Board.” Since the Mods treat this forum as SERIOUSLAND, I’ll take their condescension seriously. Yes, I expect a warning, and yes I’ll hound which “I’m better than you” hypocritical fucker gives it to me until the board closes down or I’m banned.
    I've said it once!

    I'm also gonna point out the irony of Goladus complaining about Mdar being condescending and the irony of people accusing others of being uncivil.

    Also, being elected a moderator really is a curse - you are held to unreasonable standards and basically everything you ever do is at fault. Even breathing.
    Last edited by Ikeya; October 13th, 2009 at 11:37 AM.
    Ikeya: Lies. You moderate with oppressive bias.
    Rombus: man if that were only true
    Rombus: i would have banned claud 8 times over


    Ikeya|Laptop has left irc.stratics.com (Quit: DIAF, Nadiar!)
    <lowkey> haha
    <lowkey> is it just random who ikeya is hating on?
    <vdou|work> if he's lookin at something , he's hatin on it


    <vdou|work> its a given that anything with 'intelli-' as a prefix for the product's name is going to be more than a little retarded
    <xilet`> normally extra chromosome

  15. #75
    Formerly: Vdou Quel'Anon
    Release the Kiken!
    Vdou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5,600
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dear Users. Read Before Posting.

    When people stop acting like children, they will stop being treated as such.
    "If all wars were fought by octogenarians armed with nerf bats that would be much more civilized. And funny. Yes, I am a bad person." - Voca

    XBOX Live: that tears it

  16. #76
    Elder Arcanist
    Maledict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,808

    Re: Dear Users. Read Before Posting.

    See, the thing is, I can understand if someone thought Mdar's post was a bit too tart or slightly condescending. I disagree, but I can see why. But instead of saying that, we have instead had folks telling him to go **** himself, folks saying that he's destroying the fabric of the baords, folks listing point by point every instance of why they feel unhappy, Torcer in another thread basically nailing the entire mod team to a tree.

    I mean, in all seriousness, people seem to have absolutely no sense of proportion when it comes to these things. If I have an issue with the tone of someones post, I pm that person and ask them about it. I have yet to meet anyone who does not respond to that sort of conversation, and yet somehow it's open field day on Mdar because folks don't like the *tone*? Seriously, the proportionate response here form folks is just lacking completely. This isn't how people behave in Rl, why on earth do people think it will be more effective here?

    "Instead of nicely speaking to someone and pointing out where I think they are mistaken, I will hound them to the ends of the earth insulting them and accuse them of destroying the board, because my point MUST STAND".

    I mean, if I put a post up that someone thought was rude or arrogant, I'd expect them to PM me, and I'd normally change it - it happens all the time. Mdar's clearly not intending to actually insult folks (unlike say, telling him to go **** himself), but folks would rather argue the point and cry mod foul than actually get the thing changed? You just get the impression that folsk aren't really bothered by the post, it's just another tiny point to attack and complain about. Because who on *earth* thinks this style of posting get's the change you want?
    Last edited by Maledict; October 13th, 2009 at 12:00 PM.

  17. #77
    Formerly: Vdou Quel'Anon
    Release the Kiken!
    Vdou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5,600
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dear Users. Read Before Posting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maledict View Post
    Because who on *earth* thinks this style of posting get's the change you want?
    Hi, welcome to Graffë's.
    "If all wars were fought by octogenarians armed with nerf bats that would be much more civilized. And funny. Yes, I am a bad person." - Voca

    XBOX Live: that tears it

  18. #78
    Ancient Arcanist
    Lunal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    26,444
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Dear Users. Read Before Posting.



    I play the part of Kenneth Branagh. In a film by Kenneth Branagh. Produced by Kenneth Branagh. And critically acclaimed by Kenneth Branagh.
    Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.

  19. #79
    #YesAllCats
    Goladus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    25,071
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dear Users. Read Before Posting.

    This isn't much ado, and what's here is not about nothing.
    Well the argument that it was a joke is based on your opinion, not some sort of fact. Mdar wasn't joking when he made his post - how could someone view your reaction as some sort of joke? In a forum where we're asked, very nicely, to remain civil it's reasonable to react uncivilly to something you disagree with?
    I'm giving him the benefit of doubt that it was a joke. Mdar's use of the phrase "beloved forums" seems out of place and I took it to be tongue-in-cheek. Phrases like "X number..." "Y number..." seem ridiculous to me, and I took that to be intentional.

    I've already explained how my post was intended to be funny. If my interpretation of Mdar's post doesn't satisfy and you you need a word-by-word analysis of the joke, I'll need my post back. I can also copy and paste the other analysis if you need.

  20. #80
    PassiveAggressiveApostle
    Don't push me!
    Daph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9,814

    Re: Dear Users. Read Before Posting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lunal View Post


    I play the part of Kenneth Branagh. In a film by Kenneth Branagh. Produced by Kenneth Branagh. And critically acclaimed by Kenneth Branagh.
    Sing hey nonny, nonny...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •