Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Users. Read Before Posting.

Formerly: Vdou Quel'Anon
    Release the Kiken!
    Blog Entries

Re: Dear Users. Read Before Posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Goladus View Post
    I am not a moderator. My ego is beside the point.
    You have got to be kidding me. You have some kind of hard on for Mdar, I wish you'd just profess your love and get it over with.
    "If all wars were fought by octogenarians armed with nerf bats that would be much more civilized. And funny. Yes, I am a bad person." - Voca

XBOX Live: that tears it

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ronaan View Post
    I don't see the problem either, because the statement is limited to the Site and Forum administration subforum. And if people can not be civil towards each other in here, well, then we're fucked anyway.
    It's an entirely reasonable expectation. I have not one single time suggested otherwise.

Formerly: sillililygirl
    Now Sillililywoman
    With a Sillililycat

I am not a moderator. My ego is beside the point.
    No, no, no. Your ego is the point.
    Put witty saying here.

Formerly: Mdar
    Follow the Free Man
    Livestock Pimp
    Blog Entries

Less talking about Goladus' Ego, more talking about the first post.

Which Goladus is trying to do.
    What do you despise? By this are you truly known.

It is only when the well nears dry do we think to ration supply.

Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Mdar posts less than Graffe.
    After a forum update
    Quelian> Oh god how do I get the forums back into title only listings for posts!? OMG THE UNREADABLE
    nadiar-work> I WILL FUCKING MURDER YOU
    Quelian> my job is done here

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Quote Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
    Maybe defining x & Y would be a good thing...

I vote x=-3 and y= √-1
    There is no i in y=x+b.

Limited Access

Blog Entries

In Before The Lock.
    Ikeya: Lies. You moderate with oppressive bias.
    Rombus: man if that were only true
    Rombus: i would have banned claud 8 times over

Ikeya|Laptop has left irc.stratics.com (Quit: DIAF, Nadiar!)
    <lowkey> haha
    <lowkey> is it just random who ikeya is hating on?
    <vdou|work> if he's lookin at something , he's hatin on it

<vdou|work> its a given that anything with 'intelli-' as a prefix for the product's name is going to be more than a little retarded
    <xilet`> normally extra chromosome

Elder Arcanist

The vast majority of reports over the last week have been from these forums. There has been much bickering and many stupid insults thrown. The mods are fed up with it. None of us are mods in this forum, except Voca, Mal, and Mdar. Mdar stepped up and did what needed to be done. If people could learn to not act like children all the time, perhaps it would not have been necessary.

This was no unilateral decision by Mdar to start being "da man". He is responding to concerns of ... well, if not the entire mod team, then myself for sure! I hate to speak for others, but it was out of hand. These forums have always been heavily moderated, but people have lives, and can't be here 24/7. Calm down, sheesh.

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vdou View Post
    You have got to be kidding me. You have some kind of hard on for Mdar, I wish you'd just profess your love and get it over with.
    I was kidding when I said he should go fuck himself. I mimicked his approach with a paragraph or two of condescension, with a polite-yet-vulgar insult, and then at the very end I abruptly abandoned the affect and said directly: "fuck yourself." The purpose of the first paragraph was to demonstrate obvious condescension as a reflection to to Mdar's initial post, to demonstrate that the appearance of civility is much different from actual civility, and to mess with reader expectations so that the punch line would be funny.

If there is one thing I am not kidding about, it is that while this subforum may be held to a higher standard moderators are held to a higher standard even still. This is always true when there are matters of power imbalance.

Between a typical man and a typical woman, who is more responsible not to hit the other one? The man, of course. Because the man has more physical power, he can probably break the woman's face if he feels like it. When is it ok for the man to threaten to break her face to make her to comply? When is it ok for the man to laugh at her for being physically weaker?

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

Incidentally, my opinion is that the first thing a mod should evaluate when there is a problem in this forum is whether the thread even belongs here in the first place. Locking and official warning is probably not necessary in many cases.

I think Kaelon's civics thread didn't belong here to begin with. It was never a focused discussion about policy and meandering topics were bound to happen.

Mr. Angsty Spice

The mods are fed up with it.
    Then quit -- because whether you realized it or not that is the job you VOLUNTEERED for.
    I've got beer to drink and You guys are wasting my time.

Elder Arcanist

Let me clarify, I am not fed up with being a mod. I am, however, tired of seeing the report forum spammed with reports from this forum, when the users of Graffe's have always known this forum is held to a higher standard. People have decided, instead, to act like children. Babysitting was nowhere in the job description, and I thought we were (mostly) adults here.

I should have known better.

Mr. Angsty Spice

There have an increasing amount of reports coming from this part of our beloved forums. This is not acceptable as these forums are held to a much higher standard than the rest of the site.

From now on, when I see X amount of posts that violate any rule in this part of the forum (Halls, Site and forum, and feature request) I will lock the thread. When Y threads end up locked, I start issuing warnings and/or suspensions.

If you cannot say something to another as though you were an adult in polite society, then you do not need to say it here.
    You must admit Goladus' point; This reads more like a Decree then the start of a rule discussion.

I am, however, tired of seeing the report forum spammed with reports from this forum,
    why? wasn't it pointed out in this thread that you personally don't have to deal with any of those reports? So, those reports are not your job -- That means you get to ignore them. So why are you sick of things you get to ignore?

Elder Arcanist

It's not a rules discussion at all. It is an announcement that the level of enforcement that this section is supposed to have is going to be actively applied from this point on. The rules are already there, he is just saying that they are going to be adhered to.
    You can never know everything, and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyways.

Release the Kiken!
    Blog Entries

Incidentally, my opinion is that the first thing a mod should evaluate when there is a problem in this forum is whether the thread even belongs here in the first place. Locking and official warning is probably not necessary in many cases.

I think Kaelon's civics thread didn't belong here to begin with. It was never a focused discussion about policy and meandering topics were bound to happen.
    Either run for mod or stop dictating what people should be doing from your Ivory Tower.
    "If all wars were fought by octogenarians armed with nerf bats that would be much more civilized. And funny. Yes, I am a bad person." - Voca

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vdou View Post
    Either run for mod or stop dictating what people should be doing from your Ivory Tower.
    Do you agree or disagree with my point?

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoranafofPrexus View Post
    It's not a rules discussion at all. It is an announcement that the level of enforcement that this section is supposed to have is going to be actively applied from this point on. The rules are already there, he is just saying that they are going to be adhered to.
    You make it seem like the thread was completely unnecessary.

Elder Arcanist

You make it seem like the thread was completely unnecessary.
    For the most part, yeah. He could have just started doing it and then when people complained he could have just said "get over it". But this way does seem to make the drama far more limited... not to mention the drastic downturn in reports from this section since he posted it.

So it might not have been necessary, but it seems to have done more good than harm so far.
    You can never know everything, and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyways.

Limited Access

Blog Entries

Ban everyone
    Ikeya: Lies. You moderate with oppressive bias.
    Rombus: man if that were only true
    Rombus: i would have banned claud 8 times over

Ikeya|Laptop has left irc.stratics.com (Quit: DIAF, Nadiar!)
    <lowkey> haha
    <lowkey> is it just random who ikeya is hating on?
    <vdou|work> if he's lookin at something , he's hatin on it

<vdou|work> its a given that anything with 'intelli-' as a prefix for the product's name is going to be more than a little retarded
    <xilet`> normally extra chromosome

Release the Kiken!
    Blog Entries

Do you agree or disagree with my point?
    I disagree vehemently. If anything, we could use a little more thread locking around here.

Mr. Angsty Spice

not to mention the drastic downturn in reports from this section since he posted it.
    Yeah, maybe that's cause he posted it on a Friday night at 11:00 PM.

When historically the boards activity decreases anyways..

And if this is a decree...

What's X?

Or does it change everytime?

OOOH! Maybe Mdar the god works in base36!

Ok, So, we convert that OK x=33 -- So after 33 posts violating the Stupid Civility rule then we can lock the Thread -- then after 34 Threads get LOCKED THEN we can start giving out Warnings..

Is that how it works? Or do we just make shit up as we go along?