Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22626869707172
Results 1,421 to 1,424 of 1424

Thread: The Graffe's Celebrity Death Pool

Elder Arcanist

Re: The Graffe's Celebrity Death Pool

Jessica is a great song, but Ramblin' Man is still my favorite of theirs. My actual favorite southern rock band is The Marshall Tucker Band (Heard It In A Love Song, Can't You See). Hopefully the surgery helps, but it does sound very iffy.
    'This world may be another planet's hell.'{Aldous Huxley}
    'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'{Aldous Huxley}

Mangina at large.

Quote Originally Posted by PPatty
    I suppose it would be like expecting the average American to know about Slade.
    Not an American, but I still listen to "Run Runaway" from time to time, along with the Quiet Riot version of "Cum On Feel The Noize":

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    Not an American, but I still listen to "Run Runaway" from time to time, along with the Quiet Riot version of "Cum On Feel The Noize"
    Is Slade popular in Canada? No idea.

Quiet Riot was actually trying to do a bad version of it because the the lead singer didn't want to do any covers and didn't like Slade's music:

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Banali of Quiet Riot
    The idea to do that song was the producer's [Spencer Proffer] idea - it wasn't the band's idea. Kevin was completely and totally against doing it. Kevin was aware of who Slade were, but he was not a particular fan. What he liked more was Humble Pie and Queen — that type of British rock. He didn't really care for Slade.

But the real reason why he didn't want to do it was because he wanted all the songs to be written in-house, particularly by him! So, we were supposed to rehearse the song and go in and record it. The producer kept calling the rehearsal studio, "Are you working on 'Cum On Feel the Noize'?" And we'd say, "Yeah. It sounds great." But we never played it.

So the day came when it was time to record the song, and I came in early and told the engineer what was going on. I was honest with him. I said, "You might just want to record this for laughs and giggles."

We went in, there was no intro, no nothing at all. There was a little bit of arguing as to how it was going to start. Finally, when I knew the engineer was rolling tape, I just started playing what became the intro. Rudy joined in, and then Carlos joined in. Kevin was sitting at the corner of the studio, just giggling, waiting for this massive train wreck, and the train wreck never happened.
    http://www.songfacts.com/blog/interv...of_quiet_riot/

I prefer the Slade original myself -- Noddy Holder was an amazing singer back in the day. But my favorite Slade piece is this live cover of a song by The Lovin' Spoonful:

(Joe Cocker's cover might be more well known, and it is also very good)

Mangina at large.

Quote Originally Posted by PPatty
    Is Slade popular in Canada? No idea.
    Not really. The singles that would chart in the U.S. would chart a little higher in Canada, but the singles that didn't catch on in the U.S. also didn't catch on in Canada. "Run Runaway" was almost a top 10 song here, though. Quiet Riot reminds me of hockey, since players on my Atom team would blast it in the dressing room.