Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Banning or suspension for Muddvz -- community discussion

Re: Banning or suspension for Muddvz -- community discussion

1. "You may not publish, transmit or store on or via Mosso's network and equipment any content or links to any content that Mosso reasonably believes.... promotes illegal drugs"

From Mosso TOS.

http://www.mosso.com/legal/aup.jsp

I'm pretty sure a joke like that is not even a violation. Mosso MIGHT err on the side of telling us to take it down, but then they might know it was a joke and not a promotion of anything but humor.

2. Banning someone is a serious step in the history of Graffe's. It should not be taken lightly. However, no one has ever tried to harm the board itself before. A direct attack on our license is thoroughly unacceptable. There was no intention to "rid the world of pot." This is not some misguided war on drugs. That is just a method, not an end. What was done here is to use the violation to attempt to shut Graffe's down.

Accordingly, and with great reluctance I vote permanent banning.

Loves You.
    (not the good way)
    Blog Entries

Unless I am greatly mistaken we only know he did it because he told us? Would we have been told who reported it?

I'd go for a suspension. Maybe a long one, with a permanent "final warning" for this kind of action. If he doesn't agree to bringing everything to the mod team first, them perma ban him.
    First rule of Plunger Club is you do not talk about Plunger Club.
    Twitter @plungerclub

Formerly: ZedofFennin
    Ancient Arcanist

Ban Him.

Ibliss,

STFU - you posted a pic, and you were doing what we do in Rants - badgering / pestering / teasing / whatever. You did not promote "weed", and even if you and 50 other posters on this board in fact DO promote "weed" - Graffe.com does not promote "weed", does not facilitate it's trafficking, or the use of "weed" or any other drug.

Forum Sorcerer

Ban him - he tried to get this place shut down, plain and simple. He obviously doesn't want to be here, and that's fine.

However, trying to make it so EVERYONE can't be here should = permaban, easily.
    The more I learn the more I realize I have yet to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    This.

The Unseeing Eye
    Blog Entries

Graffes runs on donations from its users - without them, it would cease to be. Those donations are explicitly to be used to secure our hosting arrangements and operation. Being forced unexpectedly to seek new hosting - a possible outcome of this situation - would likely mean that some portion of the community's donations would be wasted in the transfer. I seriously doubt that Mosso would refund or prorate their service charges for the partial month in question if they chose to close us down for AUP violations. Additionally, we would then be required to secure new hosting services, at additional immediate cost to the community funds, and possibly a greater expense over the long haul.

I see that as a pretty negative outcome, given the nature of funding for the site.

A community-approved (and created, and sustained) process already exists to address objectionable content. This process was not followed. Instead, preference was given to a much more extreme and potentially damaging course of action. The potential harm is clearly noteworthy. The potential benefits, on the other hand, seem... absent.

If I'm missing some benefits, or overstating the harms, then I'd like to hear an explanation.

Passes Turing Test

Quote Originally Posted by Mordlu View Post
    Unless I am greatly mistaken we only know he did it because he told us?
    At this point in time that is right. Of course who knows how long it takes Mosso to respond to such things.
    Would we have been told who reported it?
    I don't know. On one hand I am tempted to inquire with Mosso, on the other, if they are ignoring it as obviously dumb then I am reluctant to poke a sleeping dog -- I don't want to give the impression that we want to find out where the line is, as it were, or encourage them to take it more seriously.

Ancient Arcanist

Are we fully backed up in case we get closed down?

I can contribute to helping us find new hosting, inc PM Voca.

ZZ

No prison can hold me!

I don't like it, but I don't think we have much choice other than banning him.
    ------------------------------------------
    I *AM* the Chinpokomon master!

Elder Arcanist

Graffe's is, when you get down to it, a very civil place. We're all free to think (and indeed, do think) that other posters are morons, degenerates, perverts, wastes of space, and/or spineless fops. At the end of the day, however, we're a community. I may call Torcer a fascist pigdog, but I would welcome his company for a turkey dinner and a beer. I may think Istari is an inveterate ass, but he routinely makes me question my opinions and I'm better for our snippy arguments. And so on, and on.

That's what makes Graffe's work. You're all assholes but I love you.

If Muddvz has reached the point where he is attempting to shut down this community, he has forgotten the "but I love you" bit, and needs some time away.

The Unseeing Eye
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zedd View Post
    I can contribute to helping us find new hosting, inc PM Voca.
    In the interest of being completely plain and not raising a panic, I'll point out that Dmitry is very probably correct about this. I don't see a corporation closing us down over something this minor, and we certainly have no indication as yet that they intend to do so. I do not think they would - it's a loss of profit for something that isn't a violation. Ibliss is going to be entitled to a degree of freedom for his creative expression, no matter what muddvz thinks of the topic of that expression.

My issue is that there is a process in place for this matter. It was previously explained to muddvz, along with reasons why the process exists. Objectionable content goes through the report forum. It's addressed by moderators. This is at the community's consent and collective agreement. Thus, not giving the moderators a chance to address the issue prior to contacting our hosting service is at the very best a strongarm tactic with no appreciable benefit I have seen explained thus far.

I'm waiting with rapt anticipation for that explanation, I assure you.

Passes Turing Test

Quote Originally Posted by Eniarch View Post
    In the interest of being completely plain and not raising a panic, I'll point out that Dmitry is very probably correct about this. I don't see a corporation closing us down over something this minor, and we certainly have no indication as yet that they intend to do so. I do not think they would - it's a loss of profit for something that isn't a violation. Ibliss is going to be entitled to a degree of freedom for his creative expression, no matter what muddvz thinks of the topic of that expression.
    I agree with this btw. I think it is very unlikely that Mosso will see this as any sort of issue. You may all relax. My comments were in no way intended to encourage panic.

Formerly: Tzakapotek
    Celine Dijon
    Blog Entries

We don't ban folk lightly around here, for lots of reasons. Not the least of which is "tradition", and in our traditions, the last time someone tried to actively harm the board itself (via SZ Jihad) the outcome was banning. I realize that in may ways this is more serious, but precedent stands. You don't fuck with the family. Ban him.
    I go missing
    No longer exist
    One day
    I hope
    I’m someone you miss

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Send him with Anthony Corleone on a little fishing trip....

Loves You.
    (not the good way)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Voca View Post
    At this point in time that is right. Of course who knows how long it takes Mosso to respond to such things. I don't know. On one hand I am tempted to inquire with Mosso, on the other, if they are ignoring it as obviously dumb then I am reluctant to poke a sleeping dog -- I don't want to give the impression that we want to find out where the line is, as it were, or encourage them to take it more seriously.
    To be honest I doubt you will get a response. If he gets flooded with reports that say the same thing... then you might worry. I wouldn't poke the dog either.

I was alot more worried when people where pissing off graffe than this report would make me.

I'm not gonna shed a tear at a perma ban, It just seems some have gotten by with alot more and gotten alot less.

As a side note, if someone did that to me on my personal site I would perma ban them.

Either way I don't expect him around. If he was trying to get us shut down, obviously he doesnt wan't to visit here.
    First rule of Plunger Club is you do not talk about Plunger Club.
    Twitter @plungerclub

Formerly: Twofeathers
    Sans Souci

Quote Originally Posted by Mordlu View Post
    I'm not gonna shed a tear at a perma ban, It just seems some have gotten by with alot more and gotten alot less.
    Gotten by with a lot worse? Really? When was the last time someone tried to get the site closed down?
    “It is a curious thought, but it is only when you see people looking ridiculous that you realize just how much you love them.”

Ancient Arcanist

This has indeed been the first time (to my knowledge) and while I agree, these are trying times and lets face it: Graffe's Cash isn't something Mosso is likely to turn their nose up at because a poster posted a pic of some weed in a clear taunt of a known asshole on the subject.

Still, I just hope that everything is backed up, and we're "prepared for the worst" as it were.

ZZ

The Bullhorn

I reject completely the suggestion that anything I have posted or done has jeopardized this community. I am actively seeking unbiased non-voting members to post here or pm me directly to help me form a response to this thread.

I have nothing further to add at this time.

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Go away and don't come back, you're not welcome here anymore.

Ancient Arcanist
    Blog Entries

Banning him won't do anything to stop him from attempting to shut the site down. If that is his intention. It will do zero, except to get him out of the community.

So I am not for banning him. He's a little toad, a wisp of doodoo. Not worth our time or attention, even to ban him. But what he has done, from what I know so far, is not a bad enough violation for a ban. And I don't agree with banning someone simply because we don't like him.
    Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.