Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forum Rules (24/03/2009)

Elder Arcanist

Re: Forum Rules (24/03/2009)

Zedd (And Ianlyien) have the means to contact the mods outside of the board, and we can and will review their situations if appropriate after a suitable time has passed.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
    The Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Maledict View Post
    Ianylien has been banned for threatening the mod staff and other users with legal action over thread contents.
    you were threatened with subpoenas! And it was just me, and some would argue I'm not a user because I don't post in threads that interest them!

The Prince

removing it because claud can't mod for shit is an entirely different thing all together and not caving to the blackmail.
    Last edited by milaru; October 8th, 2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: I was wrong!

Ancient Arcanist
    Blog Entries

I think the legal issues more likely to actually get the board in trouble would be associated with copyrighted material or perhaps leaked information that was covered by an NDA or something similar.

The rule is a good one, though. I'd say we need to take threats like that seriously, lock the accounts and inform the board that matters like that can't be discussed for legal reasons.

Going forward, that is. Agree that such a rule is bad if retroactively applied.
    Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.

You people are idiots. No one is going to sue anyone. Jesus F-ing Christ. Do you really think Ianlyien has the ability to sue Graffe's? Let me just ask you this? Who would he sue and how would he perfect service?

Seriously.... sometimes I think people here are just balls to the walls dumb.

The Prince

as no one seems to have thought it was serious, I'm not sure why you would call people dumb Dmitry, I understand that you dont agree with removing members of the community that exist only to cause problems, but deliberately misreading what is said isn't new to you now that I think about it i guess

High Councilor of Erudin
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    You people are idiots. No one is going to sue anyone. Jesus F-ing Christ. Do you really think Ianlyien has the ability to sue Graffe's? Let me just ask you this? Who would he sue and how would he perfect service?

Seriously.... sometimes I think people here are just balls to the walls dumb.
    I don't think Zedd was serious.

But, generically speaking, I believe the only thing Zedd could hope to accomplish is civil action to get some content removed. He couldn't really find much merit in any other claim in most courts. However, as to whom he would sue, anyone who wants to perform a simple whois lookup on Graffe.com can identify the contact name and mailing address of the Administrative Contact for this domain, and use it (and the internet service provider's contact) to get to someone "real" on the other side of the site.

So in any case, the threat if carried out can still cause headaches and trouble, whether or not it would be ultimately successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelon View Post
    I don't think Zedd was serious.

But, generically speaking, I believe the only thing Zedd could hope to accomplish is civil action to get some content removed. He couldn't really find much merit in any other claim in most courts. However, as to whom he would sue, anyone who wants to perform a simple whois lookup on Graffe.com can identify the contact name and mailing address of the Administrative Contact for this domain, and use it (and the internet service provider's contact) to get to someone "real" on the other side of the site.

So in any case, the threat if carried out can still cause headaches and trouble, whether or not it would be ultimately successful.
    None of that would work. Please stop. It's embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by milaru View Post
    as no one seems to have thought it was serious, I'm not sure why you would call people dumb Dmitry, I understand that you dont agree with removing members of the community that exist only to cause problems, but deliberately misreading what is said isn't new to you now that I think about it i guess
    if it was not serious then why was he banned? Good lord.

High Councilor of Erudin
    Blog Entries

None of that would work. Please stop. It's embarrassing.
    None of what would work? I get sites shut down all the time by sending threatening letters from an attorney if they infringe on intellectual property that my company owns. It doesn't even cost me the postage; I send them electronically.

Zedd may have no case. But his threat, and if he carries out on it in any way, can cause serious headaches. Banning people who issue threats like that is the best idea.

The Prince

if it was not serious then why was he banned? Good lord.
    probably because he took lessons from you on how to be a member of the community.

what the fuck is the point of keeping someone who would threaten legal action because the mods didn't respond to their report? Its stupider than keeping someone around that spams pictures of goats to "prove a point"

probably because he took lessons from you on how to be a member of the community.

what the fuck is the point of keeping someone who would threaten legal action because the mods didn't respond to their report? Its stupider than keeping someone around that spams pictures of goats to "prove a point"
    He is just being dumb. Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelon View Post
    None of what would work? I get sites shut down all the time by sending threatening letters from an attorney if they infringe on intellectual property that my company owns. It doesn't even cost me the postage; I send them electronically.

Zedd may have no case. But his threat, and if he carries out on it in any way, can cause serious headaches. Banning people who issue threats like that is the best idea.
    LOL stop you are just killing me... though truth be told I would LOVE for someone to try... pretty sure Rombus is who you end up suing even if you get that far which would amuse me no end.

edit: oh and what exactly do you do when the recipient of your oh so scary email says dear you pound sand.

High Councilor of Erudin
    Blog Entries

LOL stop you are just killing me... though truth be told I would LOVE for someone to try... pretty sure Rombus is who you end up suing even if you get that far which would amuse me no end.

edit: oh and what exactly do you do when the recipient of your oh so scary email says dear you pound sand.
    Depending on how severe the infringement is, I then go to the ISP, which almost always complies with a C&D demand letter. If it is frivolous, it wouldn't fly.

edit: Zedd's threat should be taken seriously because he could cause trouble, regardless of whether or not it's not entirely frivolous (from what I understand from the hearsay based upon the threat he made on this site, and the allegations that stemmed from it).
    Last edited by Kaelon; October 8th, 2009 at 04:24 PM.

That actually raises another interesting thing... I think the domain is registered to Rombus. I wonder if anyone now posting knows if that is true still.

High Councilor of Erudin
    Blog Entries

That actually raises another interesting thing... I think the domain is registered to Rombus. I wonder if anyone now posting knows if that is true still.
    Good question. According to public whois information, it is registered to an Eric Arends in California, whoever that is. But even if it were a fictitious name/identity for an Administrative contact, one can do a trace on the Name Servers listed in the whois entry to produce the ISP, and call them directly to get an identity of someone "legally responsible" for the site.

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Wow, a Best.Com address. I had a Best.Com hosted site for a few years in the mid Nineties, it was nice because at the time they had a sweet package deal including dial-up access, a Unix Shell account, lots of web hosting space, and a decent chunk of bandwidth. I was so sad when they stopped offering their dial-up service.

The Prince

He is just being dumb. Who cares?
    we didn't want him infringing on your IP, you should be thanking us, now the only mindless homophobia is yours.

we didn't want him infringing on your IP, you should be thanking us, now the only mindless homophobia is yours.
    Yeah yeah... so he was basically banned for no reason.

The Prince

Yeah yeah... so he was basically banned for no reason.
    No, he wasn't. You however weren't for no good reason, other than the mods feeling like removing trolling compares to a lynching.