Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Forum Rules (24/03/2009)

Elder Arcanist

Re: Forum Rules (24/03/2009)

Nadiar has mentioned something similar about attacking the board as well - Its a good point goladus, thanks. If folks are okay with it, I'll put up a proper new rule this weekend for folks to discuss an agree / disagree on.

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

There still needs to be a certain allowance for humor, of course. Another poster claiming I'd be bruised and bloody after playing basketball with him is just f*cking around and doesn't count.

PROOF PROOF!

And since we believe in retroactive bans, threatening to sniper someone will result in bans?
    Every married man is wrong. We just wait for the wife to tell us when, where, and about what.

~me

Elder Arcanist

"Retro-active" bans?

I didn't ban Ianlyien because I made up a rule and then said he broke it. I banned him because it was in my mind the appropriate response to the threats of legal action, and we then put the rule up so that everyone was clear on how these issues would be handled. It was an issue that arose and was handled at the time that we hadn't planned for when we sorted out the rules.

We're not going back over the months and years looking for ways to ban folks - that was then, this is now. Would certain things have been handled differently - possibly. But I'm not going to question mods from a year+ ago on their actions, they took them in good faith and I'm glad they put in the time and effort to moderate the board for us. I'm only really concerned about what happens now on the board, because otherwise we'll just spend our lives hunting folks down for something bad they said 5 years ago.
    Last edited by Maledict; October 17th, 2009 at 07:46 AM.

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

Personally I think a ban is too harsh even in the case of Ialn. Going from zero to ban in one post does seem a bit unreasonable to me. (Whatever, what's done is done, but going forward I think maybe insta-ban isn't really necessary)

can we swear?

Elder Arcanist
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marcusrenfro774 View Post
    can we swear?
    Yes... but not in thread titles which must remain safe for work, and there is a general civility rule.

Danenel Plasmaweaver

Retired 65 Wizard of Eternal Sovereign, Tholuxe Paells

Formerly: Mdar
    Follow the Free Man
    Livestock Pimp
    Blog Entries

can we swear?
    And the Site and Forum Administration section of the forums are held to a much much higher standard than the rest of the site.
    What do you despise? By this are you truly known.

It is only when the well nears dry do we think to ration supply.

Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Mdar posts less than Graffe.
    After a forum update
    Quelian> Oh god how do I get the forums back into title only listings for posts!? OMG THE UNREADABLE
    nadiar-work> I WILL FUCKING MURDER YOU
    Quelian> my job is done here

Satellite Mind
    Blog Entries

I can’t believe that people are still threatening to ban people over a petulant Intrawebby threat to sue. Idiots, fucking idiots. If someone wants to use the site, or any of the inhabitants of seriousland, they’re going to damn well do it regardless of what they say, and banning them will just make them that more likely to carry through. My goodness, the whole threat to sue is just idiotic venting of steam from someone another poster managed to piss off and you guys treat it like its a wife beater's threat to kill his wife.
    “Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bomc,” I said. “We have a protractor. Okay, I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler and a piece of string.”

Elder Arcanist

Um, Torcer - you're replying to comments from over a year ago. The recent posts to this thread were in response to someone asking about swearing. Oddly similar times, but nothing at all recent in any way. all those posts are from 2009, and nothing further has happened in that area at all.
    Last edited by Maledict; October 26th, 2010 at 12:48 PM.

PassiveAggressiveApostle
    Don't push me!

It's difficult for Torcer to give up on things he believes strongly in...?

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Daph View Post
    It's difficult for Torcer to give up on things he believes strongly in...?
    Nah, there's no-one at Graffe's like that!

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Torcer Arcana View Post
    I can’t believe that people are still threatening to ban people over a petulant Intrawebby threat to sue. Idiots, fucking idiots. If someone wants to use the site, or any of the inhabitants of seriousland, they’re going to damn well do it regardless of what they say, and banning them will just make them that more likely to carry through. My goodness, the whole threat to sue is just idiotic venting of steam from someone another poster managed to piss off and you guys treat it like its a wife beater's threat to kill his wife.
    That really isn't it at all. When you get to the point where you're threatening legal action, you're no longer contributing anything to any discussion. I don't think Maledict is advocating any sort of Zero Tolerance here, but if they get to the point where they're just going to threaten to sue, they need some cooldown time. The kid that just threatened to sue us was just given shit, he wasn't banned, because he's just stupid.

This *will* hurt a bit.

Guys - this was more than one year ago.
    "Better an honest enemy than a shitty friend that's robbing you blind."

Ancient Arcanist
    Blog Entries

can we swear?
    Fealty? Yes.
    Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.

Mr. Angsty Spice

Rule Proposal --

Quote Originally Posted by Thread Necroing

Threads that are 6 months old are dead, Bumping or Necroing a dead thread results in the thread being locked. If a new topic comes up along a similar vein feel free to start a new thread. Repeated thread necroing for the purpose of disrupting the boards should result in warnings/suspension of accounts as appropriate.
    I've got beer to drink and You guys are wasting my time.

Elder Arcanist

Spoiler for Moved post to Melcar's thread:
    I disagree. It's a forum software problem, not a social problem.

Old threads are sometimes the most appropriate place for a post, especially when there's a resolution to an old news event or the like, and even when an old thread isn't the most appropriate place to post something your rule doesn't save people from wasting time rereading old posts.

What we need is to convince vBulletin to clearly label old posts.
    Last edited by Deabn; October 29th, 2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Moved post to Melcar's thred.

Mr. Angsty Spice

I created a thread for the discussion of my proposed rule.

http://www.graffe.com/forums/showthr...hread-Necroing
    I've got beer to drink and You guys are wasting my time.