Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another by request ban: Nattik

Passes Turing Test

Another by request ban: Nattik

Quote Originally Posted by Nattik Frostreaver
    Please place a year ban on this account from the forums. It would be much appreciated.
    I'm rather discomforted by two such requests in such a short time, especially with the length on this one. However I see no reason why I should deny them either.

As in the other case Nattik has been told he can lift this at any time by request.
    "Computer science is a continuation of logic by other means" -- Georg Gottlob

www.Neutrality.ca

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

Re: Another by request ban: Nattik

I see no reason to deny it either, but I wouldn't worry all that much.

Forum posting has always been addictive. If there comes a point where compulsive posting is noticeably interfering with other life goals then complete abstention is sometimes the easiest way to deal with it.

Stupid. Your are not their mother.

Formerly: ZedofFennin
    Ancient Arcanist

I agree it's stupid for them to ask to be banned, but Voca is not the stupid one here.

ZZ

Oni
    Blog Entries

It seems Nattik is under heavy psychological stress.

I'd say something helpful to him but I can't post comments on his blog since he has me on Ignore.
    "Don't yell at S-D for using words you're not completely sure of, it embarrasses you. He's right anyway." - Alikat

You're getting sleepy
    The Iron Tits of Oppression

Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Stupid. Your are not their mother.
    Damn straight.

Next person to request this should just get an insta delete imo.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

PassiveAggressiveApostle
    Don't push me!

Why does anyone care that these guys asked for this? If an alcoholic asked someone to lock up their liquor cabinet, when they were seeking treatment, would that be open to ridicule too? The only thing I find sad about this is that it needs to become public knowledge to begin with.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
    The Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Daphinue View Post
    Why does anyone care that these guys asked for this? If an alcoholic asked someone to lock up their liquor cabinet, when they were seeking treatment, would that be open to ridicule too? The only thing I find sad about this is that it needs to become public knowledge to begin with.
    its ok, in two months you can just forget this thread ever happened, again.

Juju Incantatrix
    The Tao of ~i~

At the board i modded previously we had users request suspensions/bans quite regularly when for whatever reason the board was too distracting to them and interfering with other stuff that they needed to work on. I always viewed it as a mark of responsibility, that they recognize that they are devoting too much time to the message board but it's so tempting and hard to resist, especially when you are accustomed to spending lots of time on it. So they request a suspension, and i don't see anything wrong with that, nor is it worthy of derision imo.
    Hey boy... why don't you get off of my ferns?

The Prince

also really bad analogy because when it look like nattik was and alcoholic and the community wanted him to seek treatment, he told the community to fuck off.

Formerly: Tzakapotek
    Celine Dijon
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by luxum View Post
    At the board i modded previously we had users request suspensions/bans quite regularly when for whatever reason the board was too distracting to them and interfering with other stuff that they needed to work on. I always viewed it as a mark of responsibility, that they recognize that they are devoting too much time to the message board but it's so tempting and hard to resist, especially when you are accustomed to spending lots of time on it. So they request a suspension, and i don't see anything wrong with that, nor is it worthy of derision imo.
    I agree with this.

The entire thread represents a kind of voyeurism which is honestly distasteful as well. He wanted a break for whatever reason... Lets leave it at that.
    I go missing
    No longer exist
    One day
    I hope
    I’m someone you miss

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

I still think we should get rid of the scarlet letters indicating that someone is banned.

Formerly: Baelan Shadowbane
    Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog

Quote Originally Posted by Goladus View Post
    I still think we should get rid of the scarlet letters indicating that someone is banned.
    See, I think we should go with flashing neon

"With your shield, or on it"

The Prince

Goladus doesn't like hugging red things.

Formerly: Baelan Shadowbane
    Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog

Quote Originally Posted by Milaru View Post
    Goladus doesn't like hugging red things.
    I'm open to other palette choices - see we can work together!

"With your shield, or on it"

Juju Incantatrix
    The Tao of ~i~

It would be nice if we had a separate category for people who request for their posting rights to be suspended and save the actual scarlet letter treatment for those who were suspended as a consequence of breaking rules.
    Hey boy... why don't you get off of my ferns?

The Prince

why bother, there is no way to punish anyone at this point.

Computer says no

Quote Originally Posted by Voca View Post
    I'm rather discomforted by two such requests in such a short time, especially with the length on this one. However I see no reason why I should deny them either.
    Because he'll be back after you're long gone and claim you banned him for no reason?

Oni
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lysandor View Post
    I agree with this.

The entire thread represents a kind of voyeurism which is honestly distasteful as well. He wanted a break for whatever reason... Lets leave it at that.
    Remember what I was saying in another thread when I described our Forum Laws as falling between two categories?

The first one was:
    "Law is what satisfies our greedy, lizard like tendencies for mob violence and mob desire"

That Voyeurism you describe is a part of that.
    "Don't yell at S-D for using words you're not completely sure of, it embarrasses you. He's right anyway." - Alikat

You're getting sleepy
    The Iron Tits of Oppression

It's always refreshing to see how you completely ignore opinions you don't like and negate them into plain faced ridicule.

Not only is your example of a drunk with his liquor cabinet assumptious and possibly offensive to some people (maybe even nat himself) the fact is you don't lock the drunks liquor away. You pour it down the drain, gone for good. Better yet you make them do it.

As to why I would care, mabye I'm mistaken but this is a period to set precedences for mods to act on and I don't believe we would be seeing this request from someone like Nat had valas not requested the same thing recently. Hand holding is not a precedent I want to see set. I know some peoples honesty gets to you, but guess what? Your seemingly constant need to mother other members of this board gets to me.

If I were to explain this situation to any friend face to face who had any connection to an internet community theyd be smacking their head and exclaim "WTF?".

I don't disagree with Voca going along with their requests but I don't see it as something that should be encouraged either.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss