Quote Originally Posted by Ofia View Post
    Passive aggressive much?

Pot: Would you like some tea?
    Kettle: Why yes! Yes I would!

ZZ

Elder Arcanist

Re: Recent Moderation Bruhahah

]
    There are all manner of disputes on this board that would solved more easily and with less drama via PM. But people tend not to do that. Nobody uses PMs first. I certainly don't, and I basically never get preemptive PMs about anything
    I do, and every single time it's worked.

Okay, every single time bar one - I asked stardemon to stop the "hardcore" stuff in the WoW forums ages ago, and he carried on doing it for a while and I eventually blew a fuse in a thread. But I fixed issues with Zedd, Dmitry, Torcer and others in private messages. To me it's always the first response - same as at work, if I have a problem I'll attempt to deal with it myself first.

One thing I've learnt about Graffes in the past couple of years is how much of it's business goes on in private messages.

The World is a Mess
    And I Just Need to Rule It

I too have both received and sent PM's regarding issues with other people on the boards and have been pleased with the results on all occasions.

I guess you have to be a mature person with an actual interest in resolving problems to take the PM route.
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
    The Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Maurley View Post
    I too have both received and sent PM's regarding issues with other people on the boards and have been pleased with the results on all occasions.

I guess you have to be a mature person with an actual interest in resolving problems to take the PM route.
    or have faith that it will work, its pretty evident from everything that followed that a PM wouldn't have solved anything.

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maledict
    To me it's always the first response - same as at work, if I have a problem I'll attempt to deal with it myself first.
    How can you say this? You post vehement arguments on the boards all the time without using PMs. I'm asking how you determine whether or not to PM first.

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Quote Originally Posted by Maurley View Post

If you keep stroking yourself like this you are going to get spooge all over.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Goladus View Post
    How can you say this? You post vehement arguments on the boards all the time without using PMs. I'm asking how you determine whether or not to PM first.
    There's a difference between a vehement arguement and something that requires a PM. If you're referring to my posts about the recent incident, it's clear that by the time I had posted it was well beyond the PM stage fropm my point of view. The mods responsible had already PM'ed folks and were resolving the issues, whilst I was saying in general how bad I thought the entire episode had been.

I PM where it's something that I think would be actionable and could save the effort of it being actionable. For example, I PM'ed Zedd when he referred to me in a very derogatory way in a thread I wasn't even posting in. I PM'ed Torcer when I had said some wrong things about him in a thread.

Were I involved in this fracas, I would have PMed Daphinae at the start explaining my position and why her sig could cause issues. If that didn't work then I'd report it, and then post a thread on the topic if nothing had been done within a reasonable time frame.

Even if it doesn't work, it's always better to *try* speaking to someone reasonably, one to one, I think. Unless it's a really, really unpleasant incident (which this wasn't), it can't do any harm.

And hey, I'm not that vehement! I ranted about this because to be frank, the entire incident seems beyond ridiculous, and people posting sigs deliberately knowing that they will get people into trouble at work is way, way beyond what I'd expect reasonable people to do. But I'm not usually that expressive...

Juju Incantatrix
    The Tao of ~i~

There needs to be someone who can accomplish things outside of the rules. Its pretty fucking clear to me that my signature is against the spirit of the rules, but no one will step up and do something about it. I tried REPEATEDLY to give the moderators some teeth, and as far as I read the rules, they can still bite if they want, but the policy Luxum forced on them has taken it away.
    You know what Nadiar? Fuck you. If you want to talk to me, fucking talk to me and stop dropping twisted comments about me all the time. I haven't forced ~anything~ on ~anyone~. I have given my opinions and argued against yours when you started talking like a fascist that was going to completely ignore the ruleset that was put in place so that you could instead do whatever you wanted. I never told you to STFU either like you keep saying. Either address me directly like a man or go crawl under a rock and stop sniping at me.
    Hey boy... why don't you get off of my ferns?

Formerly: Baelan Shadowbane
    Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog

Quote Originally Posted by Alikat Astrae View Post
    What exactly is the problem with Dmitry calling Daphinue out publicly for something?
    Mil nails it - there were at least two options for Dmitry to pursue before even considering a public thread like that. PM Daph and try to resolve it that way. If that fails then report it and give the moderators sufficient time to resolve it that way before you go Defcon 1. That's not what D does though - he is about shock and awe, getting a reaction before negotiating. It's a great tactic that has served him well in court, I'm not so sure it works here.

What are you raiding anyway? Save me some purples!
    Karazhan for badges and gearing up some guildies, on standby for Black Temple and gathering mats for TK tonight. Plus doing the Ogri'la preqs with ringo's wanna be mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Milaru View Post
    or have faith that it will work, its pretty evident from everything that followed that a PM wouldn't have solved anything.
    Thing is, we will never know. Dmitry immediately put her on a defensive footing. This makes any sort of discussion that much more difficult. Even just trying that and then reporting it to the mods would have worked better. Without the ensuing clamor I think the mods could have handled and dealt with the situation better.

"With your shield, or on it"

Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog

Quote Originally Posted by Goladus View Post
    I'm guilty of this as well - I'm sure some of our discussions would be better served in PMs, but there are far more serious events that I have handled via PM, some successfully some not so. I think my standard (as loose as it is) if its a debate I'll respond, if its something that can result in infraction I will try to PM if possible,or discuss it on the phone if I can contact someone that way as well. It's imperfect and I havent followed it faithfully, but there you go.

The Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Ninetoes View Post

Thing is, we will never know. Dmitry immediately put her on a defensive footing. This makes any sort of discussion that much more difficult. Even just trying that and then reporting it to the mods would have worked better. Without the ensuing clamor I think the mods could have handled and dealt with the situation better.
    the refusal to accept that its NSFW by some standards and the lack of addressing the previous complaints make me doubt that a PM would have worked. Daph's reaction to the whole thing was extreme and shows a lack of understanding or willingness to, defensive footing aside.

Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog

the refusal to accept that its NSFW by some standards and the lack of addressing the previous complaints make me doubt that a PM would have worked. Daph's reaction to the whole thing was extreme and shows a lack of understanding or willingness to, defensive footing aside.
    That may be - I have always found Daph willing to talk and listen if not agree. Probably the history between the two of them made any sort of civilized discussion unlikely. My point remains,however, that Dmitry should have still attempted that and then reporting it to the moderators and allowing them to handle it first was the better option.

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Mil nails it - there were at least two options for Dmitry to pursue before even considering a public thread like that. PM Daph and try to resolve it that way. If that fails then report it and give the moderators sufficient time to resolve it that way before you go Defcon 1. That's not what D does though - he is about shock and awe, getting a reaction before negotiating. It's a great tactic that has served him well in court, I'm not so sure it works here.
    So he handles interpersonal relations differently than you and Milaru would, that in itself is not a crime or social offense. You give far too little credit to the people reading, Dmitry hasn't got any eldritch mind control powers, if his accuation is full of shit, that would be obvious to all. I would call this a lot closer than that, his accusation had some merit in the opinions of multiple people who responded in the thread.

The NSFW standard obviously needed more refinement, and Dmitry sending a PM to Daphinue would have done nothing to revise our standards for NSFW. I myself was about to put Daph back on ignore, which I had taken her off of when she switched from lingerie-clad cartoons to kittens, when Dmitry posted that thread. I really don't want to get fired because one of the two other women at work thinks I am surfing hentai toons and complains about being offended. I don't know that either of them would, but I have no guarantee that they won't.

Being active in an alternative sexual lifestyle has made me extra-cautious because I have to always assume that I might be in enemy territory when I am not at a BDSM community event. Just like gay people often stay in the closet because they don't want to get fired for "performance issues" after their boss finds out they are gay.

The Prince

The NSFW standard obviously needed more refinement, and Dmitry sending a PM to Daphinue would have done nothing to revise our standards for NSFW. I myself was about to put Daph back on ignore, which I had taken her off of when she switched from lingerie-clad cartoons to kittens, when Dmitry posted that thread. I really don't want to get fired because one of the two other women at work thinks I am surfing hentai toons and complains about being offended. I don't know that either of them would, but I have no guarantee that they won't.
    saying it needs more refinement isn't true, for the most part the rule was fine, it seems most of the mods know what is considered nsfw, even if apparently most of the community read it as "boobies"

We don't really need more rules because the community is clueless, its the same problem wjjapl had, and the spirit of the rule rather than the exact wording.

and you are right nine, there was a much better method that wasn't used and drama resulted, I'm just saying I don't think the PM method would have had any effect, the report might have, but the calling out in the thread caused more drama than a report would have.

Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog

I see what you are saying Ali, but Istill disagree. While he has no eldritch mind powers (nice turn of phrase!) he does know the reaction the public thread would cause Look how his responses change once people post to the thread, he amps it up, egging folks on. Granted he couldn't conduct this sympony wihtout our complicit help, but I still believe his response was the wrong one and designed to provoke drama not understanding or resolution. I guess you and I will have to agree to disagree

Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog

and you are right nine, there was a much better method that wasn't used and drama resulted, I'm just saying I don't think the PM method would have had any effect, the report might have, but the calling out in the thread caused more drama than a report would have.
    Yeah I think you and I agree essentially, just disagreeing on some surrounding bits of detail.

and Im afk again - job hunting at work!!

Elder Arcanist
    The other opinion

The best "punishment" for Dmitry would be to reset his postcount.
    Terry Pratchett: A European says: I can't understand this, what's wrong with me? An American says: I can't understand this, what's wrong with him?
    Torcer Arcana: There are times I really love the Dutch.
    Zedd: Bran, I think you exhibit moonbat qualities at times
    ?????????: Never argue with a stupid man, because he will drag you down to his level and beat you because of his experience.

when I am not at a BDSM community event.
    I suddenly understand you so much better then I did before.
    Why do you insist that the human genetic code is "sacred" or "taboo"? It is a chemical process and nothing more. For that matter -we- are chemical processes and nothing more. If you deny yourself a useful tool simply because it reminds you uncomfortably of your mortality, you have uselessly and pointlessly crippled yourself.

- Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Looking God in the Eye" AC

Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog

Quote Originally Posted by Xan View Post
    I suddenly understand you so much better then I did before.
    I would hope you aren't about to make a snide comment regarding Alikat's lifestyle choice. That would be a most unfortunate choice.

I would hope you aren't about to make a snide comment regarding Alikat's lifestyle choice. That would be a most unfortunate choice.
    I'm pretty sure if I was going to add a snide comment I would have done it before I clicked submit. But that probably did come across as pretty assholeish considering the recent rounds of sparring AA and I have done.
    Why do you insist that the human genetic code is "sacred" or "taboo"? It is a chemical process and nothing more. For that matter -we- are chemical processes and nothing more. If you deny yourself a useful tool simply because it reminds you uncomfortably of your mortality, you have uselessly and pointlessly crippled yourself.

- Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Looking God in the Eye" AC