Experiments in Cooking: Fried Cinnamon Toast Crunch French Toast

Rate this Entry
http://picasaweb.google.com/nadiar.z...chFrenchToast#

Recipe used:
1 1/2 cup Half & Half
5 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
3 tablespoons of warm honey
1 loaf of stale sourdough bread, or any "hard" artisan style bread that isn't made of artificial ingredients.
1/3 small box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, crushed

I combined the Half & Half, eggs, and salt together, then added the warm honey. I added this to the fridge for overnight. Then I sliced the loaf of Sourdough bread into 1 inch slices, and removed the heals (I ate these with raspberry jam mmm!) Set the slices out in the open so that they will dry out while you're asleep, I stood mine on the end and kept space between them so they would get maximum air flow and be extremely stale when I got to it the next morning.

When I was ready to begin cooking, I added peanut oil to my iron fry pan, and brought it up to 320F. I then started my oven preheating to 375F. Placing the custard mixture in a pie pan, I soaked a slice of bread on each side for 1.5 minutes. Then I placed the bread on a plate, and poured the ceral over the top and pressed it into both sides. Then the slice goes into the oil, approximately 1.5 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oil and place on a wire rack. Repeat witch each slice.

When all slices are done, move them into the oven for 7 minutes. Remove, and let them rest for a minute.

I tried two different syrups, because I wanted to see if a fruity syrup would compliment it better than normal maple syrup. The answer is: NO. If you're going to use a fruity syrup, you'll probably want to go with thinner slices. With Maple Syrup this stuff was god damn amazing.

One thing to note: The bread in the center wasn't golden brown. All of the custard had cooked, but it wasn't in the oven long enough to completely toast the bread. I think it worked out better this way, as it left the french toast with a kind of unique texture with a crunchy outside, and a soft inside.

In the pictures, that slice is from the center of a very large loaf. That one slice was probably more than enough for me, so you might want to cut it in half (just make sure to soak the cut side in the custard, cover it with cereal, and fry it for probably a minute before frying the normal sides)

I could have fancied the pictures up by taking some powdered sugar and putting a light dust trail across it, and adding some whipped cream on the side, and putting the syrup on it for the picture, but I was still concerned it might not taste amazing, and didn't want to spend a bunch of time and effort turning normal sugar into powdered sugar just for a photo if it wasn't going to taste absolutely amazing.
Categories
Recipes , Recipes

Comments

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL: